pixel code
whatsApp Chat with us on WhatsApp
The Impact of Glasgow's Digital Landscape on SEO Strategies

by  David Dwyer on  02/11/2023

Ever feel like managing your website’s Search Engine Optimisation (SEO) strategy is a bit like getting lost in a maze? Trust me, we've all been there. 

But don’t worry, because today we’re diving into the impact of Glasgow's digital landscape on SEO strategies, allowing you to get clued up on all things Seach.

In the ever-evolving world of SEO, understanding how Glasgow's unique digital landscape influences your strategies is crucial. It's like trying to hit the bullseye blindfolded – not the best approach, right? That’s why in this blog, we’ll analyse how Glasgow's digital trends impact SEO approaches (in an easy way). So, keep on reading! 

Local SEO in Glasgow

An Overview of Glasgow’s Digital Landscape 

For digital marketers in Glasgow, the social media landscape is an ever-evolving treasure trove. As of January 2023, the United Kingdom (UK) boasted a vibrant social media community of 57.1 million active users. That remarkable figure equates to an impressive 84.4 percent social media penetration rate among the UK's population–the possibilities are endless! 

But that's not all. In Glasgow, where mobile phones are commonplace, young people are taking the lead in embracing the digital era. They're not just connecting; they're building their digital havens, with online activities that are becoming more personalised than ever before.

But whilst social media marketing is a highly effective strategy, not combining it with a thorough SEO approach means you’re missing out on a huge number of potential customers.

Now, let's get down to the nitty-gritty of harnessing this dynamic environment for your digital marketing strategies to the wider Glasgow audience.

How Glasgow's Digital Behaviour Impacts SEO 

Glaswegians have a digital personality all their own, and understanding this unique vibe is crucial for digital marketers. 

They are a proud bunch, known for their unwavering support for local businesses. They're not just customers; they're advocates too. This means that if you want your SEO strategies to thrive in Glasgow, you've got to embrace this local-first spirit. Think of it as a warm Glaswegian welcome to the online world. 

Your SEO game plan should prioritise local optimisation. Use keywords that resonate with the Glasgow community, showcase local reviews, and highlight your commitment to the city.

When Glaswegians see that you're one of them, they're more likely to click, engage, and convert. So, remember, in Glasgow, it's all about that local connection! 

SEO in mobile

Adapting SEO Strategies to Glasgow's Online Trends

Now, onto the fun stuff; how to adapt your SEO strategy to Glasgow's unique online trends.

The key to success here lies in embracing local support for small businesses and catering to the digital behaviours of the people of Glasgow. You can do this by: 

  1. Localise your keywords: When it comes to SEO, keywords are the main secret ingredient. In Glasgow, it's all about understanding what phrases and terms Glaswegians use when they search. Dive into the local lingo and incorporate those words into your content. Speak their language and make your website more discoverable and relatable. 
  2. Focus on user intent: Glasgow's online explorers are particular about what they're searching for. Are they looking for the best burger in town or a cosy spot to enjoy traditional haggis? Understanding user intent is necessary. Tailor your content to match the intent behind their searches, and you'll capture their attention. 
  3. Optimise for mobile: Glaswegians are always on the move, and their smartphones are practically an extension of their hands (no judgment here). So, if your website isn't mobile-friendly, you're missing out on a significant chunk of the audience. Mobile optimisation is a non-negotiable in this smartphone-savvy city. 
  4. Embrace the community: Get involved in local events, sponsorships, or collaborations, and highlight them on your website. This not only boosts your local SEO but also endears you to Glaswegians. 
  5. Social engagement: Glasgow's online behaviour is closely tied to social media. Actively engage with the Glasgow community on social platforms, respond to comments, and foster discussions. You’d be surprised how your social presence can have a significant impact on your SEO. 
  6. Geo-targeting: Use geo-targeting to reach Glaswegians effectively. This allows you to tailor your content and advertising specifically to those in the Glasgow area, increasing your relevance in local searches. 
  7. Reviews and testimonials: Just like most people, Glaswegians value opinions from their peers. Encourage reviews and testimonials from satisfied local customers and display them prominently on your website. Positive reviews can boost your credibility and local search rankings. 
  8. Content with a local flavour: Craft content that resonates with Glasgow's culture, traditions, and interests. Whether it's a blog post about local events or a video content showcasing the city's hidden gems, local content can draw in your audience. 
  9. Google My Business: Ensure your Google My Business profile is up-to-date. Most businesses overlook this, but doing this helps you appear in local searches and provides essential information to potential customers, such as your location, opening hours, and contact details. 

Google leading the field in SEO

The Future of SEO in Glasgow 

SEO, the main reason behind keeping your digital presence relevant and visible, is an ever-evolving puzzle. 

While social media platforms often steal the limelight with their flashy features, the ever-changing trends in SEO are where the real magic happens. So, what's on the horizon for 2024? Let's dive into the trends that website owners and brands should have on their radar for the coming year. 

  • Google is the present and future 

In the UK, a staggering 92.69% of the search engine market share belongs to Google. 

No surprises here, Google remains the go-to choice for users seeking information. So influential is this search giant that the verb 'google' has earned a spot in the dictionary, like saying, "Who was that actress in the movie we saw last week? Oh, never mind, I'll just google it." 

With Google reigning supreme, aligning your digital content with the preferences of this search engine titan becomes a non-negotiable step on the path to online success. 

  • Mobile era 

Back in October 2019, something remarkable happened in the UK: for the very first time in recorded history, desktop and mobile market shares reached an even 50-50 split. A stark contrast to 2018 when desktop ruled with a hefty 58.34% market share, leaving a modest 41.66% for mobile. Mobile made a colossal leap forward. 

Then, come December 2019, the mobile revolution kept on rolling. It crept ahead of desktop, boasting a 52.27% share, leaving desktop with 47.73%. 

What does all this mean? Well, if your website isn't finely tuned for mobile devices, it's at risk of becoming a digital relic. There's no escaping it; the future is shining brightly, and it's all about going mobile. 

  • Mobile search results 

A whopping 79% of individuals start the buying journey on their mobile phones, before sealing the deal on a purchase. Whether it's exploring products, scouting for the finest deals, or sifting through reviews, mobile plays a pivotal role in a customer's purchasing voyage.

To make the most of this substantial mobile-using audience along their buying journey, it's absolutely essential to ensure your digital content is finely tuned for mobile search results.

  • Organic Search 

The landscape of organic search has blossomed, now claiming an average share of 53.3% across various industries. This marks a substantial uptick from the 2014 figures, where organic traffic stood at 51%. It's clear that organic traffic reigns supreme, dwarfing paid search, which accounts for a mere 15% of the pie, and social channel traffic, which barely registers at 4.7%. 

So, as we stride into 2023, it's clear that SEO is becoming increasingly user-centric, locally focused, and mobile-oriented. Keep these trends in mind to stay ahead in the ever-evolving digital landscape! 

Professional SEO services in Glasgow

Expert Help for Your Digital Marketing Strategies 

The world of SEO is evolving very rapidly. If you want your brand to stay relevant in the search results, you’ve got to keep adapting with the everchanging digital marketing climate by adapting your content marketing, web design, and your social media marketing. 

Ready to navigate this dynamic digital terrain and elevate your brand's presence? Get in touch with Inspire Digital, your guide through the ever-evolving digital marketing landscape.

Let's work together to ensure your brand not only stays relevant but thrives in this shifting digital landscape in Glasgow and beyond.

Search Engine Optimisation
First Name
Last Name
How can we help?
To comply with data protection regulations (2018), we are unable to store and use your information unless you give us your permission. Please select Yes to allow this. View our data protection policy for details.